[Techtalk] Re: Linux Versions

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Sun May 5 19:14:52 EST 2002

>>I think I am.  I'm not saying there never have been hassles, but
>>compared to DLL hell in Windows, rpm dependency issues are truly minor.

[...]
> And, given that my day job is doing tech support for a Windows program,
> I see fairly few DLL problems... and when I do see them, it's usually
> either a conflict with hardware (which the software wasn't tested with)
> or a problem elsewhere (usually in a data file) which is causing a
> problem with a particular DLL. Have seen very, very few
> honest-to-goodness DLL conflicts... but then, perhaps I'm just lucky in
> that I wasn't doing tech support in the early days of Windows 9x.  =)

i had this discussion with my boyfriend after tearing my hear out over
rpm conflicts (and um... trashing yet another one of my GNU/linux
installs by using rpm --force :-}} !!!)
he said okay yeah, you get a lot of verbosity with rpm, but in windows
it will just automatically try to write over the dlls.... which explains
a lot of why my windows systems always get worse as i add more
software... my day job is graphics/web design so im a bit of a
heavyweight software user... and i've noticed my win2k workstation has
got soooo much worse, it used to run great but as i added more software
it got more and more sluggish...

im no expert on dependencies in windows though, as the only bit of
hacking i ever do is in GNU/linux...

having said... rpms *do* make me tear my hair out every few months or
so... especially when major upgrades of things like rpm or glibc arent
made very public....

> Then again, part of my disgruntledness with the dependency issues is
> that I run on dial-up, so I get stuck needing to wait for a web-page to
> load, download the file, etc ad nauseum. And that was before I added
> more memory, so I feel like I aged significantly just waiting for the
> download.

have you tried using wget via the command line?
just find the ftp directory of the rpms you need to d/l... then once
you've typed them in on the command line, you can press the up arrow and
  erase the last bit (if you're as lazy as me and hate typing in all the
url!) and it runs sooooo much faster without a web browser. either than
or you could try using a text-only browser.... im sure its the
heavyweight browsers that slow things down so much...

bw

miriam

iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?

info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk