[Techtalk] multiple server backup

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu May 2 23:15:48 EST 2002

Hi, Nils, and everyone else,

> On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 17:49, Hemingway, Neil wrote:
> > I've heard very good things about Amanda (www.amanda.org)
>
> I second that -- it's a bit of a learning curve to get acquainted with
> it, but it's definitely the tool to use to backup multiple machines
> over a network.

I'll be the third to tout amanda.  We used it when I worked at
TriNet/Interpath (back in '98) running on Solaris.  We backed up
Solaris, BSDi, and even Windows boxes (using samba) and I found it to be
reliable and highly configurable.  It's only gotten better since then.
The only drawback to using it with Windows clients is that it has no
means to backup the registry.  That had to be exported to a file to be
backed up, which means we didn't have a backup we could simply pop on to
a new drive and boot to.  For pure *nix environments, though, it's
excellent.

All the best,
Caity