[Techtalk] Re: Linux Versions

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu May 2 23:08:39 EST 2002

Hi, Kai, and everyone else,

> I used to use Red Hat, but am now a Slackware convert. (No more RPM!
> Yay!)

I like rpm.  A lot.  I realize that's sacrilige to some here, but it
really makes version tracking easy and saves me time I might otherwise
spend dinking around with makefiles.  I compile code when I must, but
having a properly built rpm is, for me, a real timesaver.

> So I've currently got one Slack 8.0 box (kernel 2.4.5, which I'll be
> upgrading soon), and one Mandrake 7.1 box with a 2.2.15 kernel that's
> left over from when I experimented with Mandrake.

1. Red Hat 7.2, 2.4.9-31 (patched 2.4.9) kernel
2. Vector Linux 2.5, 2.4.18 kernel (Slackware based distro)
3. Red Hat 6.2, 2.2.19-?? (patched 2.2.19) kernel

#3 will likely be upgraded very soon, probably to Red Hat 8.0.  There are
things I like about the minimalist and just add what you need approach
of Vector Linux, but the lack of rpms is definitely not one of them.

All the best,
Caity