wireless networking on IBM thinkpad was Re: [Techtalk] Linux versions

Tabatha Persad tabatha3 at attbi.com
Thu May 2 15:09:34 EST 2002

On Thursday 02 May 2002 17:29, /dev/null wrote:
>  hi, thanks for replying :)

No probs.

>  i have mandrake 8.2, a thinkpad 600E and a buffalo AirStation (which
> apparently is a rebranded Lucent Orinoco according to the Consume.net group
> - in the UK they are setting up an independent wireless network :) which is
> what i got the card for ).

I tried another search at google for just: +linux +"buffalo airstation"  and
a whole bunch of goodies came up.  I will browse through some of those (you
should too!) and see if I can find anything relevant.

>  yes, im running a pcmcia card to connect to the net... im running that on
> my second pcmcia port and the wifi card on the first... actually, im only
> using the pcmcia card because i cant seem to get the built in modem working
> in windoze or linux (i dual boot)... i bought the thinkpad refurbed without
> any OS... which is what i wanted, but it turned out to be complex even to
> get connected on windoze... at the moment in win98 im disabling the
> internal modem so i can run the pcmcia card or it wont work at all.

I also thought I should ask - the buffalo airstation seems to be the Wireless
Access Point and a wireless card.  I know this is a dumb question, but do you
have both?

I'd like to find out (I can't remember if you mentioned it or not) whether
you can get it working on the Windows side... you said you had 98?

I found a link to Windows drivers for the buffalo airstation hardware at:
http://www.buffalotech.com/drivers/index.cfm, but they don't have linux
drivers.

On the other hand, so far I'm reading that in Linux, you may be able to use
the WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11 driver for the buffalo, known as "wvlan_cs".

Let me know if any of this gets you closer to a solution, if not, just ping
me again!

Thanks!
Tabatha