[Techtalk] ftpd not running

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu May 2 09:47:15 EST 2002

Hi, Conni,

> Like I said, I didn't change any settings recently, though I updated
> wu-ftpd in the last week or two.  Before that, it had been working.
> If updating it made it not work, and changed it to being disabled,
> it's not my fault.  I don't sit around memorizing config files. I
> admit, the disable = yes struck me as weird, but I didn't really know
> what to do with it.  I certainly didn't tell it to disable ftp.

The Red Hat 7.2 installer does that by default.  You'll also find telnet
off, I'm certain, and just about all your other xinetd services.  It
makes sense on new installs, but not on upgrades.  Something to write in
to bugzilla, I guess, though nothing could get changed until 8.1 now.>

> > As root, to turn on wu-ftpd, type in:
> >
> > chkconfig wu-ftpd on
>
> Do I have to reboot after that, or will restarting the network and
> xinetd be enough?

Restarting xinetd should be enough.  The nice thing about Linux is that
you don't have to reboot much :)  Very important when tending to high
availability servers as I did on my last job.

Oh, and the Red Hat way to do that (as root) is:

service xinetd restart

That takes care of stopping and restarting gracefully.

All the best,
Caity