[Techtalk] ftpd not running, console size issue

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed May 1 19:06:28 EST 2002

I can't get the ftpd running on my machines (either of them.)  I have
wu-ftpd-2.6.1-18 on the one I'm sitting at, and 1-20 on the one upstairs.
Neither is currently accepting connections.  They're both
xinetd-controlled.  I know xinetd is working on the other machine, because
it serves ident, which works.  I've restarted xinetd; didn't help.  I just
installed RH7.2 on my new VAIO.  nmap -sT shows that ftp isn't open.
ftp'ing to localhost gets a refused connection.  I have no idea what else
to do.  Here's the entry for wu-ftpd.  I haven't changed it any, but
suddenly it stopped working.

[conni at elbereth conni]$ more /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd
# default: on
#       normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for authentication.
service ftp
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
        server_args             = -l
        log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        nice                    = 10
        disable                 = yes
}

Now the other problem: console size issue.  I got a VAIO SR-77, and it's
only doing the console screen at about half size.  X does full screen, but
not console.  it's somewhat irritating, even if I normally use X.

Conni

--
Since they're all rude, Hi, I'm Neil.

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt