[Techtalk] Question about Kmail

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed May 1 13:11:53 EST 2002

Marian Routh writes:
> Hi, all.  I just noticed after making a few posts that when I see them
> quoted, there is an equal sign and a 20 at the line end, like this:
>
> Hi - from the above post, I gather you are using Gnome.  I'm using
> KDE=20

This is from encoding: quoted-printable.  In the version of kmail I
have, it looks like that's controlled by a pref under Network,
Properties tab, Message Property: either "Allow 8-bit" or "Mime
Compliant (Quoted Printable)".

There may be another pref somewhere, regarding soft wrapping.
I think Quoted-Printable uses " =" to indicate a soft line break,
for mail clients that understand that.  But it confuses a lot of mail
clients (mutt doesn't seem to deal well with Q-P messages).
Sending as format=flowed seems like a better way of doing this
(f=f puts a space at the end of a line to indicate a soft linebreak,
but doesn't add an =, so it degrades gracefully in mail clients that
don't understand the format) but not many mail clients support it yet
(I didn't notice any kmail prefs to do that).

	...Akkana