[Techtalk] Question regarding rsh

Ceri ceri at flashmail.com
Wed May 1 14:48:24 EST 2002

Hi All,

I am trying to set up CVS for version control.  The configuration I am
trying to use has a windows client talking to a cvs server which
is running Redhat 7.1.
I understand that cvs uses rsh to connect between client and server.  I
do not appear to be able to connect into the server via rsh.

I have edited /etc/pam.d/rsh so that it now looks like this:

#%PAM-1.0
# For root login to succeed here with pam_securetty, "rsh" must be
# listed in /etc/securetty.
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

The user has a .rhosts in their home directory on the server with the
FQDN of the client machine in it.

But rsh still doesnt seem to work.  So what have i missed?  Do I need
to restart some services or something.

Thanks for your time.

Ceri

--