[Techtalk] Uninstalling programs in Linux

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Wed May 1 13:08:38 EST 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:18:56PM +1000, Mary wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:04:44PM -0500, David Merrill wrote:
> > Wait a sec. What do you mean it's lying there in your home directory?
> > How did you install it into your home directory? Is that how it's
> > designed to work?
>
> If it's StarOffice, StarOffice likes to install a copy of itself in your
> home directory. If more than one user wants to use it, then you are
> meant to install a copy each (I think this might arise from it being
> used on desktop systems on which there is often only one user account>)

Slightly off-topic for the original post, but ...

It only installs part of itself in your home directory, unless you
specifically request the full install when you first run it (from memory
-- Open Office still works like this, for example). Here at work, we
have /usr/local/ mounted over NFS and each user runs Open Office
initially from there and it notices it hasn't setup your home directory
and puts some stuff there, but not everything.

By way of numbers: /home/malcolm/OpenOffice.org/ contains 1.2M of stuff,
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org contains 250M.

Malcolm