[Techtalk] Can't get there from here

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Mar 29 13:50:24 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 12:14:57AM -0500 or thereabouts, Terri Oda wrote:
> At 11:36 PM 28/03/02 -0500, Davis, Jennifer wrote:
> >I am quickly getting the hang of this coding thing, but I feel really dopey
> >when trying to get a simple KDE program to compile.  There it is below, and
> >below it is the output from the compiler.  I just can't figure out what I'm
> >doing, let alone figuring out what I'm doing wrong.

> I'd say you're almost certainly missing a library (that's what undefined
> references are -- you've referred to things, but it doesn't know where to
> find the actual code that goes with them)

I don't code. But a wild guess:

Are you using rpms or debs? (As opposed to tarballs?) Rpms (and I
*think* debs) split the contents of the package into foo.rpm and
foo-devel.rpm.

You need foo to run programs it contains.
You need foo-devel to compile new stuff which requires foo. They
contain headers. I don't know what these are, but I know you need
them for compiling.

I think "rpm -qa | grep -i qt" will tell you if you're on an rpm-using
box. I forget the dpkg equivalent.

Telsa