[Techtalk] Trying to compile maildrop; can't find libgdbm

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Thu Mar 28 19:47:31 EST 2002

Hey there.  I decided to switch IMAP servers over the weekend from UW to
Courier.  I wanted to setup virtual users instead of system users, but
have had no luck because the MDA that's associated with Courier --
maildrop -- doesn't come compiled with userdb support (Courier's method
of doing virtual users).

So I compiled maildrop. First I tried Berkeley DB as the database format.
This worked great. Unfortunately, I then realized that Courier IMAP was
compiled with GDBM.  So I tried to rebuild maildrop with GDBM. Configure
said it couldn't find it, so I downloaded the libgdbmg1-dev Debian
package. It still couldn't find it. Now I'm stuck ... I have no idea what
it could be looking for.

Does anyone have any clues on this?  No one on the Debian list has
answered my query.  The Maildrop mailing list has also been pretty silent
on the subject so far ...

Or if you know of a better way to setup virtual users with Courier on
Debian, I'd love to hear it!  Otherwise I'm going to try to compile
Courier IMAP with Berkeley DB support ...

Thanks!

Jen