[Techtalk] sendmail/RBL question (linuxchix)

Sunni Maravillosa sunni at free-market.net
Thu Mar 28 18:18:25 EST 2002

>Since my response to this email concerns Paul Vixie, I have CC'd him
>on this email.  It's only fair.  I hope he actually joins this list
>and responds himself.  He is, after all, an advocate and sponsor of
>Open Source software.

I agree, and have prior experience with him. That's one reason I was so
confused by all this.

>> I'm on a couple of email discussion lists, and on one, spam
>> occasionally gets through the owner's filters and blocks. ...
>
>It seems like the list owner has more problems than just being unable
>to stop spammers to the list.  He may be running an open relay.  As I
>recall, only open relays end up RBL's, and the MAPS people actually
>test to see if the mail relay is actually open.

No, he isn't running an open relay--he's been around far too long for
that. And I'm not sure that he ended being RBL'd... just that some
really... um... energetic anti-spam people were jumping all over him
for something he was already trying to control.

>Second, Paul's (and his organization's) philosophy is based around the

>idea of giving people choices.

That's my experience with him.

>Finally, don't believe everything you read on the web, especially when

>it is couched in inflammatory rhetoric.

I don't... I'm a newbie to Linux, but not the internet. And I've seen a
lot of inflammatory rhetoric from both sides, which is one reason I
asked for others' input. Thanks for all the highly informative
feedback.

Sunni