[Techtalk] sendmail/RBL question

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Thu Mar 28 16:12:48 EST 2002

At 3/28/02 03:19 PM , Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:
>Not being an open relay if you're a mail server admin is really
>important.

Not only that, it's also not that *difficult* to not be an open relay. Most
if not all MTAs these days ship in a default configuration that doesn't
relay. (Indeed, I'm sure that if an MTA shipped as an open relay by
default, there would be a hue and cry, and that default would be changed
very quickly!)

>It's not hard to turn on selective relaying for any
>customers of yours that may need it, and you're a lot less likely to
>have bulk-mailers using *your* resources and bandwidth to send out
>their spam.

Between SMTP AUTH and POP-before-SMTP, there is no reason to run an open
relay. I'm proud to say I've never done so, except for about three days
back in early '98 when I was learning mail administration. And figuring out
how to secure the server and make the relaying selective instead of open
was my first learning task as an admin.

At this point, I'm considering deliberately submitting my own server to
OsiruSoft, ORBZ, ORDB, and Dorkslayers, just to prove that staying off
these lists is *not* that hard. Just close off your relaying.

And if you want to run an open relay for some political reason or whatever,
well, fine. You need to understand that your politics, philosophy, or
whatever does *not* constitute a requirement on other people to listen to
what you have to say (i.e., accept any packets from you, on any port at all).

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"A spark has passed between us, now
  A momentary recognition..."
                                                 --Oingo Boingo,