[Techtalk] Micro$$$oft license fees...

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Thu Mar 28 14:13:14 EST 2002

At 10:13 AM 3/28/2002, Karen McIntyre wrote:
><snip>

>I do not care for Microsoft's way of doing business. I hate the Product
>Activation feature. I refuse to pay the high cost of continuing to do
>business with Microsoft. So, I am learning Linux. I bought Red Hat 7.2 and
>have installed it on my desktop. I like it. I also have StarOffice and
>OpenOffice. So far, so good, but I have a lot to learn.

I have a great story.

This morning I was visiting a client. I'm setting up their extranet - I
designed a timesheet application and other things for their staff. They
want all of their staff (all 250 of them) to have e-mail. We were
discussing e-mail. They presently have Exchange server, and use it for 50
e-mail accounts. They were installing a new Win2K server, and so they were
asking whether or not it made sense to think about using exchange for
e-mail instead of putting the e-mail accounts on the Linux box (that holds
the extranet). Turns out, that it would cost them $8000 in license fees to
give the 200 staff email. Amazing. (Needless to say, I'm setting up e-mail
on the linux box).

Speaking of exchange, is ANYONE working on an exchange server substitute?
Whether it can actually use Outlook as a client, or Evolution or some other
client?

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
tech at murrain.net