[Techtalk] fonts (was Micro$$$oft license fees...

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Wed Mar 27 23:13:13 EST 2002

> Btw, while I'm thinking fonts... What tools/
> utilities are there to manage fonts on linux?
> On windows and Mac you can have only a
> limited number (c. 400) accessible at any
> given time. Does that restriction apply to
> linux as well? Can I use my mac or pc fonts
> on Linux?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but hopefully something I say might bear some element of accuracy :)

I dont believe there is a limit to the number of fonts you can have.

You can use all your windows truetype fonts directly under linux. Copy them straight off your windows partition.

Linux also supports type1 (adobe) fonts, speedo fonts and bitmapped fonts.

If you need help in setting fonts up, I might be able to help you.

There are several font tools available. gfontview lets you see all details and char tables of TT and T1 fonts.
Mandrake linux comes with a tool to see all the fonts on the system.
There are also fontviewers under x itself (xfontsel).
There are also font tools available in a freetype package (mdk, rh in anycase)

To the best of my knowledge there is no easy way (if at all) to port mac fonts due to encoding issues. I have seen that very question many times on mailing lists and have never seen a direct answer, yes you can or no you cant.

HTH, write back if you need some more font help.

Hamster