[Techtalk] Re: Micro$$$oft license fees...

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Mar 27 21:50:06 EST 2002

Davis, Jennifer writes:

> Guess who's going to be converting to
> StarOffice and WP real soon.
>

> Where does Linux fit in here?
>
> Jenn...smirking...:)

Here's what MS itself has to say about it:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/sadefined.asp
Sure sounds like a racket to me, a way to make you pay over and over for a
product you already own. Oh I'm sorry, I mean license.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-257390.html?legacy=cnet

"The change is so dramatic that "for people that upgrade every four years,
it would be cheaper to go out and just buy the full version of the product,"
said Guernsey Research analyst Chris LeTocq.

"Microsoft's problem has been a slowing cycle of upgrades, which could hurt
the company's revenue. The licensing revamp helps keep the revenue flow
steady but also essentially penalizes companies that don't upgrade every two
years, analysts said. "

snort. hawk loogie.

Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing
Plain English Spoken Here