[Techtalk] Null connections with sendmail?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Wed Mar 27 10:08:29 EST 2002

Heya Chix,

Have an interesting problem, perhaps.

I moved a server from one location to another (so change in IP address).
Basic domain info didn't change. I'm getting the following lines in my
mail.log files:

Mar 26 16:03:46 nanuuq sendmail[22722]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
lax1evtmx2.citysearch.com [209.104.61.11]

I looked at mail logs previous to the move, and there are a few of these,
but far, far fewer than there are now. In addition, it appears that some
people have intermittent mail delays (some mail takes 12 hours to deliver,
instead of a couple of minutes.)

I thought that the mail delays might be due to slow DNS changes. But for
one particular user of the server, that has experienced delayed mail, where
mail is being sent from an AT&T broadband SMTP server, there are a large
number of these "Null connections" showing up in the mail log (like 5-10 a
day). And it appears that mail is delayed only if the mail is being sent to
the same domain (that is, picked up by this server) not mail sent elsewhere.

Ideas? Are these connected?

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
tech at murrain.net