[Techtalk] blank login screen

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Mar 19 12:35:09 EST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 07:42:33AM -0500 or thereabouts, Kathryn Hargreaves wrote:

> I've installed both RH 7.1 and then 7.2 (both clean installs), and have
> alternately specified one of the two different window managers (KDE,
> Gnome), but still get a blank screen when the graphical login prompt
> should show up (that is, after the non-graphical one comes up, or is
> this an indication of a problem).  Any ideas?

I tend to avoid booting straight into graphical mode for exactly
this reason: it's so hard to guess what went wrong if something
fails right at the start.

I think the best way to solve this is to stop it booting into
graphical mode temporarily (you can change it back when it's
fixed) and test bits at a time.

If I say: as root, make a backup copy of /etc/inittab and then change
id:5:initdefault:
(about the first line without a hash mark in front of it) to
id:3:initdefault:

...then is that enough, or do you need a bit more than that?

Once it's booting to text mode, you can test whether X itself is
happy. If not, this will explain much :) If it is happy, then I
expect the next thing to look at is GDM or KDM.

Do you know whether it's GDM or KDM that is providing the graphical
login prompt?

Telsa