[Techtalk] RE: [Newchix] W2k NTFS and RHL 7.0

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Mar 16 11:51:12 EST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 02:37:07PM -0600 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Gretchen Tollefson thought:

>    Being very new to this myself, I don't have all the answers.  However,
>    it is possible to dual NTFS and ext2, I'm running Mandrake 8.1 and
>    Windows XP.  All I did was install Mandrake (to partition and
>    practice), then installed Windows, then reinstalled Mandrake.  On the
>    second install, I had LILO install to the MBR and that took care of
>    Windows wanting to take over the bootloader.  I'm not sure if Windows
>    2000 will take over again, I've heard of that happening, but it
>    doesn't with XP.
>

>    Anyway, that's how I took care of it.
>
>    Gretchen

Did you need to reactivate XP?  My boss has a new XP machine (100Gb in a
single NTFS partition) and wnats to install RH.  Only way I can think of
is to nuke the existing partition, make new smaller ones and do the
install but I'm afraid WinXP will demand a reactivation because of the
smaller disk.  Of course, my advice ot boss would be to dump WinXP
entirely and install Win98 if he *must* have windows at all.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)