[Techtalk] Windows-like Linux

WolfRyder wolfryder at qwest.net
Sat Mar 16 09:00:56 EST 2002

Melanie,

An alternative is to download Eudora (free with ads) or pay for a copy of
Eudora Pro. I've used it for years with no problem.
http://www.eudora.com/

Also a good anti-virus program (I know, oxymoron here) would help if it was
set up to scan incoming email attachments, scan the drive(s) at least
weekly and .dat files are kept up to date (the hardest part).

Also, a good firewall program is not very expensive and a good investment.

That way, she wouldn't have that problem, as the viruses are usually
Outlook-aimed.

Trying to teach someone linux when they have trouble even with windows is
just asking for continual tutorials and repairs. At least that's my experience.

No matter how good/bad Wine or VMWare or Lindows is, there's still the
problem of speed. My husband has tried both Wine and VMWare yet he kept his
dual boot  (@ home) on his system because he wasn't happy with the results
(he plays a lot of games that require Win98). And he's a network admin who
successfully converted the network where he works to SuSE, only uses SuSE
machines to work with/on @ work, and is pushing StarOffice and Eudora Pro
to become the standard tools with his boss and coworkers.

Carol aka WolfRyder