[Techtalk] RSA Securid token wierdness

stephanie1200 at netscape.net stephanie1200 at netscape.net
Mon Mar 11 16:59:19 EST 2002

>>  We use securid tokens to log into the work vpn....  Lately, they are lasting about a week on average.

>    Where are you storing the boxes?  Is it everyone in your company
>that's having the problems, or just you (except for that one box)?  If I
>were you, I'd contact your SecurID vendor and let them know about the
>issue -- they may be able to give you their documentation on care and
>feeding of the SecurID card.  [grin]

Box gets stored in a drawer.  Everyone had problems with one batch, (just got a private email saying this was a widespread problem from the manufacturer, having to do with static) but I alone continue to have problems with at least 2, maybe 3 from other batches.  The physical security folks here are giving RSA a call.

>    What happens when they die?  The little screen just goes blank
>and doesn't generate any numbers, even when you press the diamond key?

no diamond key (they are key fobs), but they usually die by blinking an error message (forget what it says) or nonsense for a few days, then just shows all 888888.  The latest one died by getting stuck on the same 6 digits, the last of which was a nonsense character.

> Huge power lines running right out of the room you
>store them in?  Something like that?  I think they're usually pretty
>shielded...

hmmm... that's possible.  huh, you know, the electrical system in my car is flakey lately.  I wonder...

>    Are you sure that it's the chip being wiped?  I'd definitely get
>in touch with my vendor and a) see if they know common causes of
>failure, and b) if they can RMA or autopsy one of the dead cards to get
>more information from it.

no, i'm not sure that's what's happening.  the autopsy is a good idea!

>    Let us know if you (or RSA) figure it out.

Will do!  I have a new one as of today.  I am going to keep it at work for a while, then at home for a while, to see if I can narrow down possible environmental influences.  Thanks!