[Techtalk] Programming languages for women

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Mon Mar 4 14:11:43 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 13:05, James wrote:

> I find that as a guy, I'm very... Procedural.  I need to be able to see
> a clear set of steps.  Is this common to all programmers, just male ones
> or am I totally bizarre? :)

I don't think minds are inherently male/female, despite the higher
number of connections in the corpus callosum(sp) in the female brain.

If I'm used to working in a procedural language, I then have to spend
some time resetting my thinking to work in SQL, Prolog or Miranda. It's
not a matter of what I need, it's a matter of adjusting my thinking to a
different tool.

I think that's more a function of my training or my individual
brain-type than my gender.

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/