[Techtalk] Re: Techtalk digest, Vol 1 #369 - 4 msgs

safari at cat.org.au safari at cat.org.au
Mon Mar 4 11:04:55 EST 2002

Hiya Jenny,
 I think I understand where you're coming from, but I'm not too sure what you mean by a language being woman-friendly.  I've found the *situation* is more the
issue. Java, php & perl are currently my languages of choice.  I've attended some really dodgy local LUG meetings where the men talk over the women (who are
outnumbered 10:1)  and uni tutes can be hell, yet three community collectives I am involved in are really aware of the gender inbalance, and very supportive.
(ratio 10:3)  Even to the extent that if someone posts "hey guys" to the list, one of the men will post back "and grrls" or "there's women here too" : )  Gotta say,
though, it's still pretty tough. But this list is awesome and lets me feel even less alienated. kind regards, safari  btw: the *pragmatic programmers* start off
their Programming Ruby book with "Man is driven to create" : (