[Techtalk] Linux VPN for Windows 2000/XP clients?

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Jun 30 13:07:55 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 04:25, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a daunting task - to create a Linux-based VPN that can be used
> with the standard Windows VPN clients. I think I understand the basics,
> but if anyone has actually done this, I'd way appreciate some advice.
>
> The basic idea, it seems is to use FreeSWAN, with the x509 patches. But
> it looks like I first have to recompile my kernel with Free/Swan or
> IPsec patches. this is where it gets a bit fuzzy - I can't seem to find
> a specific pointer to a source tree that has these necessary patches.
>
> Anyway, if anyone has actually done this, I'd be really glad to get
> info. Thanks!

You should be able to build modules for an existing kernel as long as
you have the sources for it, e.g. a binary Red Hat kernel and the
accompanying kernel-source package here. With Red Hat Linux, I was able
to just do it roughly like this (well it's been a while, so I might
miss/confuse some details):

- Copy kernel source tree (don't mess with the original), work on copy:
- Copy matching configs/kernel-*.config to .config
- "make clean oldconfig dep"
- Unpack freeswan package, tweak settings (like path to kernel source)
- "make oldmod"

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647
nils at fht-esslingen.de
        Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?