[Techtalk] Turning on DMA

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Jun 30 12:57:31 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 18:34, Dave North wrote:
> Phil:
> > 2.  What config files would have to be changed to allow dma to be on by
> > default?
>
> I don't know what other methods might be reasonable, but you can check and
> change the status of dma with hdparm. If it is not in fact on by default,
> this can be a kernel config issue (at least, changing kernels has shown
> different dma behaviors on my boxen) or you can just set the appropriate
> flag in a startup script.

You can set your hdparm parameters in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks for all
harddisks, as well as /etc/sysconfig/harddisk{hda,hdb,...} for
individual drives. IDE-CDROMs and DVD drives only use
/etc/sysconfig/harddisk{hda,hdb,...} as some of them have problems with
DMA enabled. This is just so you can enable DMA for all your harddisks
in .../harddisks and still don't have it enabled automatically for
CDROMs and DVD drives which may or may not show problems with it.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647
nils at fht-esslingen.de
        Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?