[Techtalk] Changing Hardware in Linux

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 28 13:57:42 EST 2002

Hi, Malke,

>  It's probably
> something incredibly simple, like removing the old NIC (for example),
> replacing the new one, and running the hardware configuration program.
>
> I guess I'll find out someday!

In Red Hat 7.x or Mandrake 8.x the hardware detection program (Kudzu)
would handle this at boot, detecting that the old hardware is gone and
that the new is in place and asking you if you want to make the changes.
 It's all automated.  I believe SuSe has a similar tool, as does
Caldera.

If you are asking how to do it by hand, do check the networking how-to.
I could go into it here if folks would like.

All the best,
Caity