[Techtalk] writing persmission on binary executables...

Dragan Stanojevic - Nevidljivi invisible at hidden-city.net
Thu Jun 27 20:38:56 EST 2002

Hi there,

today on #linuxchix at irc.linuxchix.org I aked a question about above
subject and they answered the best they could and advised me to ask here.

The question is why do all binary executables have the -rwxr-x-r-x
permision when the owner will never temper with the data in the file?

In updating or removing a file system looks in permision of the parent
directory, that is in the inode of the directory in which the file is,
so that's not the reason, because we can update and put new versions of
a file even if it doesn't have write permision.

Hamster's reply was the best I got untill now. She said that it's it
because of the default umask.

thank you for your time,
N.