[Techtalk] Turning on DMA

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Wed Jun 26 22:27:19 EST 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 09:34:51AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Dave North thought:
> Phil:
> > 2.  What config files would have to be changed to allow dma to be on by
> > default?
>
> I don't know what other methods might be reasonable, but you can check and
> change the status of dma with hdparm. If it is not in fact on by default,
> this can be a kernel config issue (at least, changing kernels has shown
> different dma behaviors on my boxen) or you can just set the appropriate
> flag in a startup script.

Like at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

/sbin/hdparm -d 1 -c 1 -m 8 -S 12 /dev/hda

do a "man hdparm" to see what the flags mean and don't forget that upper
and lower case flags can mean different things!

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)