[Techtalk] [Summary] dialup while traveling

Judith Elaine Bush bush at grey-cat.com
Tue Jun 25 09:52:16 EST 2002

Everyone has chipped in with answers though, so I thought I'd
summarize. If I missed your post, my regrets.

Thanks to
From: caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
From: James <jas at spamcop.net>
From: "Davis, Jennifer" <JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA>
From: "S. Gwizdak" <gwiz at rm-f.net>
From: Robert Wichert <robert at wichert.org>

*AOL*

AOL should be good in this respect (huge number of POPs, nice easy
configuration, and a 1800 number to fall back on). Of course, there is
the AOL software to contend with...

IMHO, they are the worst possible choice.  They require proprietary
software and do not support Linux.

*1-800 numbers*

AT&T Worldnet has a national service; the 1800 number is billed at 10
cents/minute,

*Calling Card/Credit Cards*

The other option is the calling card route. nobelcom.com has a good
selection, with options from half a cent per minute (but 89c connection!)
to 3.5c/minute, no connection charge. If you can get your dialup script to
access the calling card's 1800 number, then dial your ISP's POP long
distance, you'll have access nationally.

*ISPs*

Earthlink is also a good choice.  Many, many POPs, but again, you'd need
to configure for each location.

NetZero and Juno do still exist, but they are normal, pay by the month
ISPs now.  The fee is $9.95 a month, and I do not believe you need to
use their software once you are signed up, which means any Linux dialer
should be fine.  Last I heard, though, their service was still pretty
wretched (busy signals, trouble connecting), so I'd sooner pay the higer
cost and have something reliable with POPs just about everywhere.

I think mfire.com is a reasonably good low cost dialup service with
a national plan.

I use Applied Theory
http://www.appliedtheory.com/products/product_detail.cfm?id=205 and
they work for me great in the states.  Outside the US, I am stuck with
Easy Everything in UK, for instance.