[Techtalk] Question about a virus risk

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Mon Jun 24 09:38:37 EST 2002

 Sterling Wall wrote:
> 	 My question was actually more along the lines of "Is Kmail and/or
> Evolution vulnerable to the current variants of Klez that are all over
> the place?"

This is not meant to be definitive, because working from memory is always
shaky, and 'proof by no memory' even worse. But at least it's a starting
point.
	I do recall when klez started making the rounds, it was reported
that users running both wine and outlook/IE were vulnerable. I have not
seen anything since then that implies wine alone (with just other linux
apps present) is vulnerable. One suspects the same collection of sources
may have reported this situation if it were known to exist, but that also
is not reliable.
	So, no definitive answer, but as far as I know the answer is
"nobody has reported it where I've seen it."
	However, I have seen some odd stuff that isn't widely reported, so
that's not real useful either. Wish I could give a better answer, but
that's all I have at the moment.
	The good news is, at least for me, googling on klez/kmail or
klez/evolution/ximian (really, evolution won't work) delivers nothing that
looks ugly.