[Techtalk] Window managers and desktops (LONG)

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 23 15:49:37 EST 2002

Hi, Carla,

> Okay, good so far. My question is, can't the desktop of choice be
> started from the prompt? I always start in the console, so startx
> fires up X. shouldn't I be able to start any installed window
> manager/desktop? I tried startkde, exec startkde, exec gnome-session,
> exec startxfce etc., and it generates an error message. Only startx
> works.

startx is the command to start up Xwindows regardless of the window
manager chosen.  It doesn't matter if you are running XFCE or KDE or
whatever.  startx is the command you use.

The Xclients file is one of those called during the process of starting
X, regardless if you are starting from the console or at bootup.  If you
change your Xclients file (and /etc/sysconfig/desktop if you are using
it to determine the choice as is done by default in Red Hat), you will
start your chosen window manager with the startx command.

I hope that's a little clearer.

All the best,
Caity