[Techtalk] Report on CrossOver Office

Marian Routh malke at attbi.com
Tue Jun 18 10:05:53 EST 2002

Hi - Several list members expressed an interest in a report on my
experience with CrossOver Office, so here it is.  I've taken you all at
your word that you really want to hear this, so this report is a big
long.

Specs on this box: Athlon Tbird 1.2GHz, 512 SDRAM, dual boot w/WinXP,
SuSE 8.0, KDE 3.0.1.  SuSE is very stable and wonderful.

Ordered CXOffice 1.10 on CD because I thought it would have a bit of
printed material, but it didn't, just the CD.  A mild disappointment,
but no big.

Installed as user (as opposed to root) since I'm the only one on this
box.  Printed out installation instructions and followed them.
Instructions were written very clearly and completely, and installation
was easy.  I only installed MS Office 2000 - Word, Excel, and Outlook.
You have to have IE 5.0 at least, so I went with the standard install
of it.

I had some problems with the first installation.  Word and Excel opened
fine, but Outlook crashed and then would never open again.  Word and
Excel opened, but were frozen.  I uninstalled the whole shebang and
reinstalled.  Everything worked.

Issues with Word and Excel - They seem to work great, I just can't get
my stuff to print in color.  I'm working with CodeWeavers tech support
on that.  I had some configuration questions; i.e., where to put my
custom templates, and tech support quickly solved that.

Issues with Outlook - Outlook is still too fragile for reliability.  It
says it can't import my Calendar backup file and quits the import with
an error message, however it looks like my Calendar entries are in
there.  Normally, I would backup the whole Outlook Personal Folders in
one .pst file, but because of the Calendar problem it didn't import my
Contacts.  So I backed up the Contacts file separately and was able to
import it easily.  Where I have found instability - tried to add
additional email accounts and Outlook crashed and disappeared.  Was
typing an email (actually this report so it was lengthy) and it crashed
and exited.  It should be noted that CodeWeavers has said that Outlook
is still buggy.  They are extremely upfront about any shortcomings in
CXOffice.  I'm working with their tech support on the Outlook problems,
but I think we all agree that true stability may not be available until
a later version.

So basically, as soon as we get the color printing issue in Word
resolved, I'm using Word and Excel just like I did in Windows.  I must
say I'm incredibly impressed with font handling.  Fonts appear onscreen
and print out exactly as they do in Windows.  Totally cool.  As for
Outlook, I'm still using Kmail (which is OK, but I hate the
addressbook) and KOrganizer, (which is also OK).  I'm committed to
CXOffice and am happy to wait for the Outlook bugs to get ironed out.

Now, I _must_ add praise to the skies for CodeWeavers tech support.
These people are incredibly awesome.  The response to problems is
amazing.  Even as I'm typing this, there is another email from them
regarding the Word printing issue.  There have been at least 10 emails
a day back and forth on all the issues.  I have never seen better tech
support - or any other kind of support - in my life.  I simply cannot
say enough nice things about the good people at CodeWeavers.

So there you have it.  I consider CXOffice to be well worth it and plan
to continue to support it.

I hope this was useful to some of you.  Let me know if you want to know
anything else.

Cheers,

Malke
--