[Techtalk] LOST in Kernel space

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 10 19:47:07 EST 2002

Thanks I almost got it.

	I'm Guessing that all did compile well, I have a file named
in/usr/src "linux -> linux-2.4.3" with an old, old date  Also there
is a "linux-2.4.3" that has the same date/time on it as when I
compiled the kernel. My guess is "linux 2.4.3" without the "->" in
front of it is the new one?
	Is this a simlink "linux -> linux-2.4.3"?

	Naturally I am up-dating to 2.4.18-19.  Is 2.4.19 sane/safe/stable?

	Maybe it would be better to just start again?? What needs to
be done? Anything removed?

At 2:35 PM -0700 6/10/02, Jeannette wrote:
> [...]

>>  mess or simply over write the mis-named files?**
>>
>In your case, I would move the current linux directory (mv linux
>linux-messed-up) and then unzip your kernel source again (tar xvfz
>linux-2.4.18.tar.gz). You can then start at the beginning of the kernel
>building instructions again. Do you know what went wrong last time so that
>you can fix it? Or are you just experimenting?
>
>>	I am new enough to Linux to have read the books but just
>>  beginning to actually change things.
>Good for you! Congratulations.
>
>>  Other people must have been in
>>  my shoes one time or another.
>
>Defintitely. That is why we hang out on friendly linux mailing lists.
>
>>  As a former Mac only user, the GUI on
>>  this old machine (p150 Mndrk-8.0) has not worked for me.
>
>Funny. I never understood Macs ....
>>
>>  Thanks Again,
>>  Andrew
>
>Good luck! Post back if you have any problems or I confused you.
>
>Jeannette
>

>>  >7:
>>  >When that finishes:
>>  >"cp System.map /boot/"
>  > >"mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.old"
>  > >"cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/"
>  > >
>  > >8:
>  > >Configure lilo.conf as needed and type "lilo" when done.
>  > >
>  > >9:
>  > >Reboot.
>  > >
>  > >- James
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >

>>  >This is how I compile a kernel, typically.
>>  >
>>  >1:
>>  >Download latest Linux source to /usr/src/
>>  >
>>  >2:
>>  >tar -zxvf linux-2.4.xxxx.tar.gz
>>  >
>>  >3:
>>  >Cd into linux (you should be in /usr/src/linux/)
>>  >
>>  >4:
>>  >Run "make menuconfig" and configure as you need.
>>  >
>>  >5:
>>  >Save and Exit.
>>  >
>>  >6:
>>  >Type:
>>  >"make dep"
>>  >"make bzImage"
>>  >"make modules"
>>  >"make modules_install"
>>  >
>>  >7:
>>  >When that finishes:
>>  >"cp System.map /boot/"
>>  >"mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.old"
>>  >"cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/"
>>  >
>>  >8:
>>  >Configure lilo.conf as needed and type "lilo" when done.

	    Have a nice Day!,
		Andrew