[Techtalk] Re: Techtalk digest - Evolution frustrations (Michelle Murrain)

Malke Routh malke at attbi.com
Sat Jun 8 18:56:40 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 16:58, Ms. Piglet wrote:
> Yep, the primary solution I've found so far is really a sideways/compromise
> solution: MSEntourage on OS X on a Mac.
>
> Entourage is interesting: it's mostly Mac Outlook, but has more features
> (like redirect), giving evidence that MS can write better than Outlook when
> they want to.  And of course, being Mac, avoiding a lot of the Outlook
> security issues is built in simply because it isn't running on Windows.
>
> Even at that, Entourage is a bit buggy with Exchange servers/meeting
> downloads; that's supposed to be fixed in Jaguar (next major OS X,
> presumably going to be 10.2, although they've not said).
>
> --pig
>
> On 6/8/02 8:06 AM,  <malke at attbi.com> shared this thought:
>
> ><snip>.  Say what you will
> > about MS Outlook's insecurity, I loved its calendar and contacts.  It
> > worked for me, and it wasn't ugly.  I haven't been able to find anything
> > in Linux that comes close, although I had/have hopes for Evo.  Kmail is
> > OK, but its addressbook is dismal.  Korganizer is all right, but I can't
> > get its reminders to work.
> >
> > Best of luck -
> >
> > Malke

I'd love to try OSX, but can't afford to go buying a Mac just to use
Entourage.  Hhmm, what about porting Entourage to Linux? That's really a
joke, but what might work is for Codeweavers CrossOver Office to
mature.  In another version or two, I might just buy it and run MS
Office with my Linux.  Right now, I just run the few Windows apps I need
on a Win98 box, but I don't want to use Outlook on it since I want my
main computing life to be here in Linux.  I ran across a website for an
office suite called Aethera which looked interesting, but I'm not sure
if it will go anywhere.  In any case, it seems to be in an even earlier
stage than Evo, so no point in going backwards.

Cheers,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers