[Techtalk] Re: Techtalk digest - Evolution frustrations (Michelle Murrain)

Malke Routh malke at attbi.com
Sat Jun 8 06:06:52 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 05:33, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> At 12:19 AM 6/8/2002, Malke Routh wrote:
> >What version of Evolution are you using?  The latest is 1.0.5, and it
> >does solve a lot of problems.  I was going to list them all, but since
> >they are not the same as yours, I won't torture you with them.  I use
> >SuSE 8.0 and KDE (sorry, don't really like Gnome).
>
> I'm running the most recent version off of their website - downloaded it
> yesterday. :-(
>
> >What with all of that, I hope that helps a bit.  You know, I really
> >_want_ Evolution to work.  It's just not quite there yet, but then -
> >what is the alternative?
>
> None - since I need to access a MS exchange server eventually! And WHY is
> it so hard???

Rats!  I was so hoping you were running an older version.  Then, here's
my suggestion (FWIW!) - get rid of Ximian Gnome.  Clean it out entirely
and install either the "regular" Gnome or just the necessary libraries
(although you'll need the Gnome control panel).  Run Gnome, or KDE, or
Other.  Try another clean install of Evolution.  Don't use Red Carpet.
This is just one of those "gut feel" answers based on what I've read on
the newsgroups regarding trouble with Ximian Gnome/Red Carpet.  If you
find something better than Evo, please let me know.  Say what you will
about MS Outlook's insecurity, I loved its calendar and contacts.  It
worked for me, and it wasn't ugly.  I haven't been able to find anything
in Linux that comes close, although I had/have hopes for Evo.  Kmail is
OK, but its addressbook is dismal.  Korganizer is all right, but I can't
get its reminders to work.

Best of luck -

Malke
--