[Techtalk] Another call for help, this time DNS

Pierre Fortin pfortin at pfortin.com
Thu Jun 6 13:13:08 EST 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:58:38 -0400 "Davis, Jennifer" <JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA>
wrote:

> Hi:
>
> 	In preparation for the server rebuild, I wanted to master a few
> things on the old machine so that the downtime won't be long.  So, now I
> am pondering running a local DNS server.  This will relieve me from
> having to put hosts files on every PC in the house.  I have read the
> Linux Documentation Project's DNS How To.  I think I understand it.
> Right now, I can't seem to get rndc running at all.  It just seems to
> tell me my connection is refused.
>
> root at brain:/home/jsd# rndc start
> rndc: connect: connection refused
> root at brain:/home/jsd# rndc status
> rndc: connect: connection refused
> root at brain:/home/jsd#
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, any possible points in the
> right direction for documentation, etc.

Make sure named is running with:  service named status

If named is running, then the problem is usually due to mismatched keys...
 see:
/etc/named.conf
/etc/rndc.conf
Newer DNS setups use /etc/rndc.key which avoids that problem...  however,
if you change the config file(s) while named is running, you can lock
yourself out with the above errors, because rndc would try to talk to
named using a key which no longer matches...

HTH,
Pierre