[Techtalk] My X display is fubar

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Jun 4 18:58:04 EST 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:01:48AM -0700 or thereabouts, Dave North wrote:
> Mary:
> > If you want to go to runlevel 3 just once, execute "init 3" as root.
> Robyn:
> > In the original email this lady couldn't get to a command prompt and
> > could only go into failsafe mode.
>
> Quite right. But that raised a question in my mind: is there some way to
> feed in a boot parameter that will cut the runlevel back (bypassing
> graphic login? Anybody know? I'd like to know how to do that...)

Mary and others beat me to it with init commands, whilst I was
still reading 'man telinit'.

But this means I remember seeing this in man telinit. I have deleted
the explanations (how helpful, eh? -- but they were a bit long)

BOOTFLAGS
       It  is possible to pass a number of flags to init from the
       boot monitor (eg. LILO). Init accepts the following flags:

       -s, S, single
       -b, emergency
       -z xxx

...and 1-5, of course.

How well this works with grub, I don't know. But is this what you
were looking for?

This is a RH 7.3 box, and the package came from:
[hobbit at aloss hobbit]$ rpm -qf /sbin/telinit
SysVinit-2.84-2

Telsa