[Techtalk] Server Deployment

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Sun Jun 2 10:37:36 EST 2002

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 06:24:02PM +1000, Jenn Vesperman wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 15:09, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > I should also note that at the volume of transactions we are currently
> > doing, the half-duplex (aargh!) network we are feeding the data to on
> > the client's side is starting to get close to 40% saturated (which is
> > extremely bad for half-duplex, since the collision count starts to
> > become significant). So, while it may seem obvious, you may not need to
> > be as fast as you think if the upstream side can't handle the volume.
>
> Have you considered shoving a Squid web accelerator/proxy on the
> client-side end of that network? Or is it their LAN itself that's being
> saturated?

It doesn't work in this particular case because we are sending data that
cannot be cached (stock exchange prices and other financial information)
to a single client application over a network that is woefully
inadequate (so, yes, it's basically the LAN that is being saturated).
There are a number of fixes to this (like, oh, full-duplex) that are
simple, but we have fought that fight and corporate stupidity beat
technology.

Malcolm