[Techtalk] Server Deployment

James james at james-web.net
Sat Jun 1 07:48:27 EST 2002

> I'm not up on current hardware, so I can't say. But I know
> that the people who are will want to know things like:
>

> Web server:
> * how many requests/second
> * how large the average response is
> * minimum and maximum response size
> * other stuff they'll ask for
>
> SQL server:
> * requests/second
> * amount of data
> * sizes of tables
> * other stuff they'll ask for
>

> estimates are ok, but the accuracy of their suggestions will
> be proportional to the accuracy of the data

Well, I'm not making slashdot2.org, so I don't think it will be an
insane amount of traffic. :)

Whats the best way to 'estimate' future usage for request/second and
such?

And honestly, I don't know how much we're going to be able to predict
usage, until people start using the system (people are finicky and picky
here).  And even then, it won't stay the same, its use will ramp up.
The biggest thing is that the system has to work, and slowly people will
put their trust in it.

I think it might even be better to guess 'maximum' number of
requests/second ever rather than 'average' requests/second.

- James