Truly discouraged Re: [Techtalk] Lost my place in kernel space,

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Wed Jul 31 10:15:31 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 03:13, Andrew wrote:

> 	This is where I get lost. Some how to's direct linking, some
> copying. In one attempt I did mrproper last, so, bzImage was lost and
> I kept geting file does not exist or not found.
>
> 	OK now, if file is named "linux-2.4.18ajs"  is that the name
> I put in lilo?  Also all I was finding is 'vmlinux*'.

This may not help much.  I built a beautiful custom kernel a while back,
can't remember my exact problems but wasn't able to find my big kernel
compressed images!  Oh well, stock kernel is working fine now...  ;-)

Here's a snippet of my lilo.conf (yikes, I have three linux kernels in
/boot and need to clear at least one out!)

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-5
	label=sanity
	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-5.img
	read-only
	root=/dev/sda7

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-4
	label=old-4
	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-4.img
	read-only
	root=/dev/sda7

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3
	label=linux-3
	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-3.img
	read-only
	root=/dev/sda7

other=/dev/hda5
	optional
	label=DOS

Label of course is anything (but no spaces), it's helpful to rename to
something that reminds you that kernel's status (like beta or new; in my
case, well who wouldn't click on "sanity"?).

The "vmlinuz*" (with a z) is the compressed kernel image.  The initrd*
is my *init*ial *r*am *d*isk; I don't know if you need one or not; note
where my root is.

My Red Hat Linux 7 Unleashed book discusses the bzlilo command which
apparently, makes the vmlinu_z_ file from the vmlinu_x_ file, and puts
it in the current install path, then adds that image to lilo.  If there
is a pre-existing vmlinuz, it moves it to vmlinuz.old.  I noticed you
weren't using that command.  Maybe you could backup your /boot and try
it.

So the one line kernel compile and install goes:
make dep clean bzlilo modules modules_install

Of course, even before that you run:
/sbin/mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 <name of running kernel image>  ;-)

Hope this helps some,
Beth
--
  /\/\    Beth Johnson