Speaking of Perl (Was Re: [Techtalk] On Perl)

gab gab at gorge.net
Sat Jul 27 20:03:19 EST 2002

> At 7/26/02 09:56 AM , P Casper wrote:
> >I was wondering if any other Perl newbies would be interested in learning
> >together... exchange questions and scripts, get a chance to have another set
> >of eyes looking at their work. I think it would help me to have someone else
> >take a look at it, 'specially when there's a tricky part that I'm hassling
> >with.
>
> I'd be up for that -- I don't really consider myself a Perl "newbie",
> having been using it for some years and one somewhat complex tasks, but I'd
> be up for some code-sharing and peer review.

I would too.  I've been using it for a few years, mostly for parsing
butt-ugly text files into something that's actually usable.  It seems
every time I try to go to the next level (eg, using a hash instead of an
array, using a module, etc) I end up stymied for days.  And most of the
perl lists aren't the friendliest places (I was called an idiot for not
reading a certain perl book to find the answer to a question I asked
once...and the answer wasn't actually in that book :P)  I like it here a
lot better.

gabrielle