[Techtalk] Architecture crossover trouble w RH7.2

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Fri Jul 26 00:08:17 EST 2002

conor.daly at oceanfree.net said:
> I booted from the AMD's own hd, copied its kernel and initrd.img
> across to the server HD, added that to lilo and rebooted.  this time
> the kernel boots, starts doing all its boot time stuff, gets to the
> "Freeing unused kernel memory" message and freezes (It'll reboot on a
> <CTRL><ALT><DEL>).

This sounds like it could be a mismatch between the instruction set that
the processor and the instruction set the kernel was compiled with.
Instructions have been added over time, and if the kernel contains them,
old processors won't boot it.

If you want to be sure, get a kernel that was compiled for a 386.

> The next stage in a normal boot is "Running init"
> so there must be something there.

A fair amount happens between "Freeing unused kernel memory" and starting
init.  IIRC, that's about the right place for the first cmov, which is the
usual culprit.

				Jeff