[Techtalk] Automatic loading of network card module after kernel upgrade

Therese Gustafsson th_gustafsson at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 03:25:46 EST 2002

Hi again!

> For debian, you can automatically boot your old
> kernel as long as it is
> pointed to from /vmlinuz.old. That's the default
> config of lilo. One is
> called linux, the other linux-old. Pretty failsafe.

Yes, that works.

> As far as your network card goes, check the file
> /etc/modules. You can put
> the module name in there and it will be
> automatically loaded at boot time.
> If you want to do it by hand, you can do `modprobe
> <name of module>` then
> do an `ifup <ethernet interface, probably eth0>`.

I put the module name in /etc/modules and that worked.

Thanks!
But how does the 2.2.20 kernel know which network card

I have? There was no other line in /etc/modules except

af_packet (don't know what that is...). Does it get
that information from some other file? I'm just
curious...

/Th