[Techtalk] Hiding/redirecting console messages

Dana Sibera dana at jaime.com
Mon Jul 22 17:02:58 EST 2002

On Monday, July 22, 2002, at 11:40  AM, Nicole Zimmerman wrote:

>> What you're looking for is klogd.  The man page will tell most of what
>> you need to know ("man klogd" for our listeners) but to prevent -all-
>> kernel messages from going to the console, you would edit (or create)
>> /etc/conf/syslog and add a line like so:
>>
>> KLOGD_OPTIONS="-2 -c 0"
>
> Actually, in debian, this is done in the init script directly.
> Edit /etc/init.d/klogd
> Change the line:
> KLOGD=""
> to contain your options. I had to make the same change for a released
> piece of harware. I didn't want the customer to freak out when it said
> "setting promiscuous mode". ;o)

oh my!

I popped those options Val suggested into the KLOGD="" for the debian
box here... and on restarting klogd it promptly squealed at me that it
didn't like a -c 0... however -c 1 works happily and there's no more
messing up my screen. I'll probably still have the most critical of
critical errors being thrown around the console when/if they happen, but
I'll probably want to know those anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if the
Unexpected IRQ message is a fairly low level warning, so perhaps I could
set it to 4 or so, to let real errors show.

thanks once again :)
dana
--
unnaturally hosted on a Q605,