[Techtalk] Lilo maintainer

Val Henson val at nmt.edu
Sun Jul 21 17:09:57 EST 2002

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 11:03:32AM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> I use grub on a lot of machines, but there are some cases where lilo is
> still required. For example, it appears to be impossible in grub to do
> the exact equivalent of lilo's -R flag: that is to boot a particular
> image on the next boot and then back to the default after that. This is
> a necessary option when you have monitorless, keyboardless servers and
> are installing a new kernel. You boot the new kernel with the -R option,
> leaving the old, known kernel as the default. If things go wrong, just
> power cycling (which can even be done via a watchdog card) will bring
> back the known good kernel.

Whoa!!!  No way to temporarily set a default boot image?  That's
critical when you're compiling on your test box and your new kernel is
too unstable to recompile your next change (or even finish booting).
I used lilo -R all the time back when I was doing that.

Now is a good time for someone to pop up and say, "Grub x.y.z has that
feature, download the latest version." :) Anyone?

-VAL