[Techtalk] telnet no longer working

Stephanie Maks steph at maksystems.com
Sun Jul 21 12:25:24 EST 2002

Hi all,

I've got a curious problem that I haven't been able to figure out yet.
Suddenly, I cannot telnet or ftp into one of my servers.  I can connect
to it via other services or ping it just fine, and it can telnet or ftp
out just fine.

It is running Red Hat 6.2.  It was working right as recently as Friday.
What happens when attempting to telnet or ftp in, is that you are
connected, and in the case of telnet, the contents of /etc/issue.net are
displayed.  However, it never prompts for a user id.  Both telnet and
ftp, just hang at the point that it should prompt.  They then eventually
time out on the client side.

I've looked at /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services and they are fine,
nothing has been changed there.  I think it might be a problem with
/usr/sbin/tcpd since both telnet and ftp refer to that, but I'm stumped
as to what the matter is.

Oh, and from the server itself, I can successfully telnet to 127.0.0.1
but I cannot telnet to it's real IP address.

Nothing's changed on the server, nor anything on the network itself.

Thanks for any help!

-Stephanie