[Techtalk] Hiding/redirecting console messages

Dana Sibera dana at jaime.com
Sun Jul 21 07:13:35 EST 2002

I have a mac Quadra 605 running debian - just ran through a bunch of
upgrades to Woody, but still running the 2.2.19 kernel for now.

There's a curiosity in the 68k kernel (seems to be only mac68ks, but I
could be wrong) where with the Sonic-powered ethernet cards, there's the
occasional message put to console that says "Unexpected IRQ 3 on device
00000000" - it could be 30 seconds or several minutes between
occurences, though it'd always appear about 3-5 times on booting. This
has never been a problem - it seems to be just One Of Those Things I get
from running a 68k mac with sonic ethernet & linux, and it -used- to
only occur when the machine was booting, then stop after a console login
prompt appeared.

Now the message is throwing itself around the console, even after boot.
Once again it's all -working- fine, and has been (and is still) serving
danamania.com fine for 3 months now, but it's just horrifically
annoying!. Are there options anywhere to redirect messages like this one
to a logfile, and keep them off the console?. Perhaps even throw that
particular one away :P.

I've peeked into /etc/syslog.conf and found nothing turned on there
directing messages to console or ttys. The message does get directed to
/var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log.

thanks in advance,
dana
--