[Techtalk] website overhaul/broken links

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Fri Jul 19 18:29:03 EST 2002

At 7/19/02 07:08 AM , Carla Schroder wrote:

>How practical is it, when giving a large, complex Website a complete overhaul
>and re-design, to find a way to not break all the links? I'm getting tired of
>Web content being a moving target, I collect a bunch of bookmarks, and link
>to articles, and the damn things move, so I'm stuck with a flock of dead
>useless links.

What kind of changes are you making to the site? Are you most worried about
changing the URLs of the files within the site (which breaks outside users'
bookmarks), or are you worrying more about breaking hyperlinks from pages
in the site to each other?

If you're using Apache, the Redirect and RedirectMatch directives (using
mod_alias) may be your friends.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Playing dead and sweet submission,
  Cracks the whip deadpan on cue."