[Techtalk] Do I send bug reports? If so, where?

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 18 23:43:43 EST 2002

Hi, everyone,

I'm writing this note on a Toshiba Libretto 50CT, a subnotebook computer
about the size of a paperback book, circa 1997.  It's a Pentium 75, 32MB
of RAM (that's the maximum), and an upgraded 10GB hard drive.  My OS is,
believe it or not, Red Hat Linux 7.3.  I've been running it on this box
for over a month now, using it quite a bit, and it's stable and
reliable.  So long as I stick with a lightweight window manager (or
Gnome minus Nautilus) and equally lightweight to middleweight apps it
runs reasonably well.  Heck, I've even got Mozilla 1.0 running on it,
and while it's slow to start, it's fine after that.

Anyway, it took some doing to get this to run the way it's running.  I
ran into two issues:

1) The RH 7.3 installer won't run on this box.  I had to upgrade each
and every package manually, installing additional ones as I went to
resolve dependency issues.  Yeah, it was a pain, but it worked.

2) XFree86 4.2.0 would hang my system randomly and quite frequently.  I
downgraded to he 4.1 packages from RH 7.2 and that solved the problem.

On issue #1, this system is below the minimum system requirements
specified by Red Hat for 7.3.  It works fine.  Do I even bother
submitting a bug report on the installer, which terminates on signal 11?
 Will Red Hat even care on an old box like this?

On issue #2, do I send a bug report to the XFree86 Project, Red Hat, or
both?  Later Librettos (at least through the 70CT) did use the same C&T
chipset, as did many Portege and Satellite models, albeit all older
ones.  Again, would anyone care, or would they write it off as old tech?

Opinions?

Thanks,
Caity