[Techtalk] AlphaServer "Processor Detected - Uncorrectable ECC error"

James jas at spamcop.net
Thu Jul 18 21:22:08 EST 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Suzi Anvin wrote:

> James wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Raven Alder wrote:
> >
> >>----- Forwarded message from David Merrill <dmerrill at metalab.unc.edu> -----
> >>
> >>Shit shit shit shit shit.
> >
> > Ahh... good news, I take it? ;-)
>
> If I were the person having this problem, I would not find this
> statement helpful.  The person revealed their frustration, and in effect
> had themselves laughed at in type.  I'm sure it was well intended to
> provide humor, but it feels more caustic and sarcastic to me. I hope it
> is okay to discuss the tone with which we help each other here!

Sorry if it felt that way - it wasn't intended to be caustic. Also, it was
followed by an explanation of what probably caused it - as Peter points
out, it could be cache rather than main memory, but "just try another CPU"
is much harder for most people than "try removing some RAM"...

Since this is techtalk, is anyone interested in a discussion/explanation
of ECC and parity?

James.